1 direct or control; projects, businesses, etc.; "She is running a relief operation in the Sudan" [syn: run]
2 perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore" [syn: function, work, go, run] [ant: malfunction]
3 handle and cause to function; "do not operate machinery after imbibing alcohol"; "control the lever" [syn: control]
4 perform a movement in military or naval tactics in order to secure an advantage in attack or defense [syn: manoeuver, maneuver, manoeuvre]
5 happen; "What is going on in the minds of the people?"
7 perform surgery on; "The doctors operated ont he patient but failed to save his life" [syn: operate on]
Etymologyoperatus, past participle of operari to work, from opus, operis, work, labor
- To perform a work or labor; to exert power or strengh, physical or mechanical; to act.
- To produce an appropriate physical effect; to issue in the result designed by nature; especially (Med.), to take appropriate effect on the human system.
- To act or produce effect on the mind; to exert moral power or influence.
- To perform some manual act upon a human body in a methodical manner, and usually with instruments, with a view to restore soundness or health, as in amputation, lithotomy, etc.
- To deal in stocks or any commodity with a view to speculative profits.
- To produce, as an effect; to cause.
- To put into, or to continue in, operation or activity; to work; as, to operate a machine.
"Operate" is a song written and recorded by Peaches. The song was released as a double limited vinyl aside with "Shake Yer Dix" to promote the release of her second studio album Fatherfucker. The song was featured in the movie Mean Girls and "Waiting...".
- "Operate "
- "Shake Yer Dix"
act, angle, be caught short, be effective, be in action, be responsible for, be short, behave, belong, brew, bucket, bucketshop, cabal, carry on, carry out, carry through, chart a course, collude, complot, concoct, cond, conduct, conn, connive, conspire, control, cook up, countermine, counterplot, coxswain, cut, deal with, deposit margin, direct, do with, drive, employ, engineer, exercise, exert, finagle, finesse, frame, frame up, function, go, go long, guide, handle, hatch, hatch a plot, hatch up, have effect, have free play, have play, have the conn, helm, hold on, intrigue, keep, lay a plot, machinate, make, make a killing, make a scoop, make go, make use of, manage, maneuver, manipulate, margin up, militate, miss the market, move, navigate, open up, ordain, overstay the market, percolate, perform, perform on, perk, pilot, play, play the market, plot, plunge, ply, practice, proceed, pyramid, react, rig, run, scalp, scheme, scoop the market, see to, serve, shape a course, speculate, stag, stag the market, steer, take, take a flier, take care of, take effect, tick, trade on margin, use, utilize, venture, wangle, wield, work